Storm Grounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storm Grounds

Welcome to Storm Grounds!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Room of White

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
The Darkest Vital Gray
Knight
The Darkest Vital Gray

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-05-30

The Room of White Empty
PostSubject: The Room of White   The Room of White Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 6:56 pm

My vision was blurred. I blinked a few times to rid them of it. I was laying on my back staring at a perfectly smooth roof that was in the shape of a white dome. The whiteness was glorious; it seemed to sparkle and shine a brilliant aura at the same time. It was a pure and honest white that could never be simulated by man. Yet man tried.
In the middle of the domed roof hung a single florescent bulb. The light it bore was dull and grossly yellow compared to the brilliant white of the ceiling. It is pitted and scored by the white I thought.

Pulling myself up with up with a groan, I discovered that the rounded room I was in was the same unnatural white as well. Every centimeter of the room was pure white, even the floor. Standing up I bumped my head on the low hanging light. Cursing, I glared at it; just hanging there humming its sad little hum trying desperately to shine, only to be mocked again for it's inadequacy to shine pure. I found myself hating it. Tearing my gaze from it I inspected the room. Squinting, I saw nothing. All is white. Embarrassment filled me as if I was at a pool party and my shorts fell off. Except for me. I tugged at my black shirt and pants uncomfortably,and the light

The room was bare as I said before. Completely empty, bare and hungry as if demanding purpose. "But it does have a purpose," whispered an evil voice in my head. “Its purpose is you. To CONTAIN you, to contain but another imperfection; an imperfection to be ridiculed.” Pacing now, I moved from wall to wall and to my relief, I found something.

It was a niche in the wall that ran from floor to ceiling, no more then a millimeter wide. I followed the groove and was not surprised to find a hidden door handle. It was white as everything else, so as not to be seen. I'd found the door to freedom from my white prison and couldn't wait to be free of it. Freedom. The word echoed in my mind. "Why?" I asked aloud. Had the room changed or was it something within me? How did I get here? Here of all places, the cubical of white. Suddenly I felt horrible; I was corrupting something pure, something perfect till I came along.

Forgetting that freedom was so close I walked towards the opposite wall. Sliding down it, I curled up on the ground; it was hard and cold; it was welcome. I began to feel as if I belonged there. My mind drifted into thoughts of self-loathing. What had I done to deserve this containment? Was I so evil that I not only be removed from people but objects as well? "I haven’t done anything," I repeated over and over, my voice wavering.

Raising my head from my hands, like guided lasers my eyes focused on the door. How foolish am I to ignore my only exit out of here and not even test to see if it was open? I haven't even attempted it yet. Giggling I brought myself to my feet and took some steps toward the door. Each step drained me immensely as if gravity had simply decided to pull extra hard for the pleasure of it.

Feeling dizzy, vertigo filled me to the brim. I felt sick. My hand shaking, I reached for the handle once more. I grasped it and pulled back immediately as if an electric current had been running through it. I don't feel as if I can explain it but the moment I touched the handle I got a feeling in my heart and the deepest part of my soul. The feeling was amazingly terrible but the message was clear. “This door must never be opened."

Slumping to the floor again, I counted seconds, miniutes, hours, even days. I was lost in my own mind. Pondering. It was during this endless thinking that I realized coldly that I had no recollection of who I was, where I had come from, or how I'd gotten here. It was a scary thought, but the moment passed in silence.

But it's never truly silent is it? The light bulb was still humming desperately, trying to outshine the pure white. Again I found myself hating it. A hate so deep it seemed to come from hell itself. I got up swiftly and glared at it. The hate hardened my features; consumed and devoured me. It was all I knew and all I ever would know. The next thing I knew I was on the ground again, broken bits of the bulb in my bleeding hand. My anger had subsided only to be replaced by the dull ache of my hand. Drops of dark blood flowed onto the floor; a deep crimson red. The new color wasn't welcome; it shouldn't have been there and the source of it was me. Like a recently healed wound being torn back open, I went back to my thoughts of self-loathing.

I was reminded again that I wasn't welcome and shouldn't be there but wasn’t allowed to leave. I am worthless and should be begging to be among the holy heavenly light but instead, I dripped my life on the floor. I got up and paced again; it seemed to help me think. It took five steps to the door and five back. I couldn't recall anything previous to my waking up here. “Who?" I questioned to myself. Passing the blood on the floor on my way to the door again the evil voice spoke again, “Tainted" A nauseating wave of guilt passed over me. Why am I feeling so guilty? I thought. “Because you’re not like the walls." I stared in disbelief at the door. I must be losing my mind, I thought. "I guess you must be if you hear a door speaking to you," it replied in the same voice I had heard in my head earlier.

Hesitating, I wondered if I reply, does it prove my insanity? “Or just secure it," finished the door. I felt vulnerable, my thoughts were no longer mine.

“What are you?” I yelled.
“Hard to say," the door mused.
[/i]Dumb thing is toying with me[i] I thought angrily. There was no response to my thought this time. This gave me the uncomfortable feeling my mind was being sifted through like a miner looking for gold.
"What are you?" I repeated in the same tone as before. "Some kind of demon?"
Putting on a voice of mock hurt the door said "Demon is such a strong word."
"Fine." I shouted. “Whatever you are..."
"A door," it interrupted
I glared at it.
"I've had enough, I'm out of here," I reached for the handle
"Would you like to know who you are?"
I stopped. “You know who I am?"
"Yes, and I'll tell you on one condition."
Raising my eyebrow I said, "Ok, what's the catch?"
"You have to stay here for eternity"
"That depends. What’s on the other side?"
"The greatest opportunity imaginable," the door said dreamily.
I reached for the handle
“Would you give up your life for something you don't even know?"
I stopped. If I never knew my life before, is it worth staying?
I saw my blood on the floor and opened the door.
Inside was another room black as night.
The door frame shone with light and in it was the silhouette of a man.
He tipped his hat and left. But he didn't move like a man; it's hard to explain but I followed the stranger out another door.
The walls dissolved around me and were replaced with a new world. My world. I tipped my hat and jumped off the crucifix of a tall church that had materialized beneath me.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Ashley116

Ashley116

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-06-18

The Room of White Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Room of White   The Room of White Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 7:12 pm

Very Happy Idea That story was amazing Garrett, I remember reading it a while back but this version was waaaaaaaaaaaay better! Who knew a story about a man in a room could be so emotional? I loved the story. Great job!
Back to top Go down

The Room of White
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Storm Grounds :: Library Arcanum-
Jump to: